https://www.mixcloud.com/DandelionRadio

Friday, September 4, 2026

Goat Hill Clippers - Secrets Suck (Damaged Goods)


The Humber Estuary is quite a unique place. For a start, despite frequently heard claims to the contrary, there is no River Humber. Unlike the Mersey, Severn or Thames, the Humber is an estuary that just appears when the Ouse and Trent reach the end of their respective journeys.

I'm not sure why I mention this, other than that the Goat Hill Clippers come from that part of the world and it's something I've been pondering while listening to their album - which I've been doing a lot recently.

The Clippers are guitar/bass/drums three piece who answer what is, for me, the age-old question of how to deliver songs that are unmistakably rooted in a classic late-seventies template yet sound fresh and invigorating. I still don't know the answer to that question, but the Clippers manage to do it anyway. The tunes merge with various sonic intrusions such as squawking peacocks, cartoons and TV advert samples but don't come away with the idea that the band needs these to supply something that' missing from their sound. That couldn't be further from the truth. If you need convincing, listen the excellent Brawlers and Bastards which opens my Dandelion this month (you can now hear it on-demand here), or Yellow Ball Express, which I'm playing in my FSK show this morning (shortly be available on the Dandelion Mixcloud too).

Or you can just dive in and get the album here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yang Boi - Kief Marroquino EP (DSRPTV)

Another storming release from this Brazilian label, who've been so productive during 2026. Yang Boi's merging of urban Brazilian and...