I haven't played much cumbia in my Dandelion or FSK shows for quite some time and I'm not sure I can claim to have done so now because this release, although it draws on cumbia influences, throws in so much else besides it become hard to classify, which of course is what I prefer most of all.
Based in Bogota, this duo of Edgar Marun and Diego Manrique throw together electronic sounds, self-created instruments and field recordings to create a mix of electronic soundscapes that's as marvellous as it is, at times, bewildering. After considerable thought, I've concluded that 'throw' rather than 'piece' is the appropriate verb here: the sampled birdsong is apparently a natural occurrence culled from the recording locale and this clash of naturally occurring sounds and drawn-together electronic rhythms is what puts the magic into Rizomagic.
I'm playing El Sombras in my Dandelion Radio this month: hear it on-demand here.
Get the album here.
No comments:
Post a Comment