Jan Strach first came to my attention about twelve years ago when he was releasing casio-based tracks of quirky bedroom electronica. Since then, he's added the 'LF' to his name and his recent material has become more guitar-based without, thankfully, any loss of quirkiness.
This is one of a couple of singles released recently, which follow from his excellent Bestja Piec Po EP, released at the beginning of the year. Based in Poznan, Jan's work makes no concessions to English speakers - which is exactly as it should be - with lyrics firmly rooted in his native Polish. To my great embarrassment, this means I've always struggled with the pronunciation in my radio shows. I recall a Polish listener emailing me and offering to help with this several years ago: if you're reading this, please get in touch as I've lost your email and would benefit greatly from your assistance.Such limitations have never stopped me playing Jan's music, of course, or indeed other excellent Polish artists such as Nac/Hut Report. I'm playing this single in my FSK show this month (click on the link to hear it) and it's doubtful I'll ever tire of this artists' experimental verve which remains, despite the innovative structures at work, entirely listenable. Which is also how it should be.
Get the single for NYP here and check out the rest of his work while you're at it:
No comments:
Post a Comment