Having exchanged a few pleasurable memories about the St Helens music scene with Brian from The Bordellos this week, I thought I'd dig back into the archives of my old Unwashed Territories blog and did out this, which I posted on 21 April 2016. Of course the reference to playing a track in my Dandelion Radio show is severely outdated (by more than 10 years) but it's always good to share memories of this band, who are one of the quirkiest and most enjoyable I've ever featured on my Dandelion Radio show. Also, you can still hear the show on-demand in the Dandelion Radio archives here. The show also features a session from Dusseldorf's Crowdrock, which I must admit I'd forgotten all about: listening to it again was an absolute please (anyone know what happened to them?).
I saw The Bordellos at Preston Popfest last year and can confirm their quirkiness certainly translates to live performances.
This review simply celebrates highlights from the first four volumes of their Underground Tape Series, which eventually ran to 25 instalments, all still available.
You can find more of their fascinating and prolific recorded output here.
The Bordellos - Underground Tape Series
These Boots Are Made For Stalking (4 track version)
Not a twisted version of the Nancy Sinatra classic but a slowed-down, 'Sweet Jane' style confessional from a self-styled 'motherfucking crazy guy' who, among other things, declares his intention to be the padding in his target's wonderbra. As it goes on, the music becomes more frenzied and 'Sweet Jane' becomes 'Waiting For The Man'. Madly exquisite.
Sweet Hangover (Dandelion Radio Session)
Originally broadcast as part of a session recorded for my Dandelion colleague Jeff Grainger's show back in July 2011, this shows a gently nostalgic, reflective side to the band that surfaces every now and again and the world always feels a lot better for it.
Poet or a Liar (Alternate Mix)
Delightfully woozy portrait of the artist 'praying for stage fright' and harbouring the belief that 'every line deserves a heavenly choir'. And it draws you in so well you start to believe it. One of their finest songs.
Punk's Not Dead
You can hear this in my Dandelion Radio show this month, a
gloriously fragmented piece of tempo-shifting brilliance that manages, even at
well under four minutes, to cram the spirit of punk and Nat King Cole together
in its lyrics and make it work.
No comments:
Post a Comment