https://www.mixcloud.com/DandelionRadio

Sunday, July 26, 2026

The Ale Trail: The Anchor, Cambridge

Greene King pubs can be a bit of a hit and miss experience for the seeker of real ales these days.  When in Cambridge, I once frequented the Prince Regent but last time I went it had sadly gone the way of other GK pubs with a couple of predictable regular ales and a heavy cider presence.

I've never been to The Anchor before but, in graduate season, with more obvious places like The Eagle bursting at the seams, I sought a place to sit down so headed here mainly out of convenience. I was pleased, on entering, to find four ales on the pumps, including a couple of Roman-themed ales (as is their way) from the nearby Milton brewery: Minerva and Justinian. Warning: if you're ever tempted to try their Marcus Aurelius, don't be fooled by its name: it does not resemble this most sobre of emperors in any respect - it's bloody lethal.

Anyway, having pretty much tried them all (I think) on my visits to the Devonshire Arms (highly recommended), I decided instead to opt for the house ale, Anchor Bitter, and certainly wasn't disappointed: it's a mellow ale with just enough bite to lift it beyond session ale territory. A few olives and sourdough to go with it and it more than satisfied my craving for beery nourishment and a means of spending an hour away from the teeming crowds of graduates and those looking to sell boat tours down the Cam to proud (and occasionally smug) parents.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ale Trail: The Anchor, Cambridge

Greene King pubs can be a bit of a hit and miss experience for the seeker of real ales these days.  When in Cambridge, I once frequented the...