https://www.mixcloud.com/DandelionRadio

Sunday, October 4, 2026

The Ale Trail: The Bobbin (Leigh)


I've been meaning to try out this micropub in Leigh town centre for some time and finally got the chance to do so yesterday. It turned out to be slightly bigger than other micropubs but still had that familiar intimacy. 'I only came in for a drink,' the barmaid said to me with an ironic smile as she worked one of the three hand pulls.

The one she was working for me was Northern Monkey's Film Club stout, a sturdy popcorn stout though a bit heavy on the popcorn for some tastes. For me it's the kind of drink I can happily sample every now and again but not make a regular thing of. On this occasion, though, it more than did the trick, with enough balance to absorb the popcorn's sweetness rather than yield to it.

It was quite busy in there, which is not entirely unexpected for a late afternoon but, with the local Spoons - Thomas Burke - only a stone's throw away, it's the kind of place that could easily struggle against that kind of local competition. Fortunately, it seems to have good local support and hopefully this is gives enough of a customer base to allow it to thrive in the long-term. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ale Trail: The Bobbin (Leigh)

I've been meaning to try out this micropub in Leigh town centre for some time and finally got the chance to do so yesterday. It turned o...