https://www.mixcloud.com/DandelionRadio

Friday, June 26, 2026

The Sinatra Test


The Sinatra Test, aka Phil South, were a mainstay of my show for several years and probably will become so again when they release some more material. In this month's retrospective show, I'm playing the wonderful Wodehouse Whippet Bingo from the session they did for the show way back in 2011. You can get the whole session as NYP here. 

Like most of Phil's output, it's an artistic collage built around samples and underpinned by an electronic pulse. Unlike many of the collage-based tracks I've encountered, however, The Sinatra Test never steer into inaccessibility: if this is art, it's art with a lowercase a: it's rooted in life, not Art, if you get my meaning.

If you don't - and I wouldn't blame you - you'd be better off simply trying all the material that's on bandcamp, including the recent 15th anniversary remastering of the Do Be Do album, also available as NYP. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Yang Boi - Kief Marroquino EP (DSRPTV)

Another storming release from this Brazilian label, who've been so productive during 2026. Yang Boi's merging of urban Brazilian and...